Missing the filing deadline means credits & benefits

Did you know…

… that even if you don’t owe taxes, you should file your 2009 income tax return by April 30, 2010 to be eligible for some tax credits and benefits, such as the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit and the Canada Child Tax Benefit?

Generally, individual taxpayers have until midnight on April 30, 2010, to file their 2009 income tax and benefit return. Self-employed individuals and their spouses or common-law partners have until midnight on Tuesday, June 15, 2010, to file their income tax and benefit returns; however, any balance owing for 2009 must still be paid by April 30, 2010.

You can use NETFILE or EFILE (if you use the services of a tax preparer) to file your return online. You can use TELEFILE to file your return by phone or you can complete the return on paper. Regardless of the filing method that you choose, make sure you have receipts and documentation to support the claims made on your 2009 return. Keep all your records for at least six years after the end of the taxation year to support your claims in case your return is reviewed by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

The CRA’s electronic services offer a quick, easy, and secure way to manage your tax affairs. Services like My Account, Quick Access, My Payment, Represent a Client, and My Business Account, are useful year-round to track your refund, check your benefit and credit payments and your RRSP limit, set up direct deposit, and much more. For more information about the CRA’s electronic services, go to www.cra.gc.ca/electronicservices.

New payment option

This year, you may be able to make one or more payments in one simple online transaction through the CRA’s My Payment service if you have access to online banking at a participating financial institution.

To find more information on this year’s filing season, go to www.canada.gc.ca/taxinfo.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *