If you build or purchase a new home, you may qualify for a rebate of a portion of the GST/HST paid on the purchase.If you substantially renovate your home, you may qualify for a rebate of a portion of the GST/HST paid on labour and materials.This rebate is available for eligible rental accommodation and for land leased for a residence. The rental accommodation or land must be intended for long-term use as a residence.
You may qualify for this rebate if you:
- Purchased or built a new residential rental property
- Substantially renovated residential rental property
- Made an addition to a multiple-unit residential rental property
- Converted a commercial property into a residential rental property, or
- Leased land for residential purposes (including the lease of sites in a residential trailer park)
- Purchased or built a residential complex that is a residential care facility
For more information see the CRA web page GST/HST new residential rental property rebate.