Top things families should know about tax benefits, credits and deductions.
There are many benefits, credits, and deductions to help your family with expenses throughout the year and reduce the amount you owe at tax time.
Child and family benefits
- Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) – You may be entitled to a tax-free monthly payment that helps eligible families with the cost of raising children under the age of 18. You need to apply to determine if you are eligible for the CCTB. In addition you (and your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable) must file an income tax and benefit return every year, even if you did not receive income in the year.
- Goods and services tax/Harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit – The GST/HST credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low and modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay. To receive this credit, you must file an income tax and benefit return every year, even if you did not receive income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, only one of you can receive the credit. The credit will be paid to the person whose return is assessed first. The amount will be the same, regardless of who (in the couple) receives it.
- Universal child care benefit (UCCB) – If you have children under the age of 18, you may be entitled to this taxable benefit, which supports child care choices for families. For the 2015 tax year, under the UCCB, families will receive $160 per month for each child under 6 and $60 per month for each child aged 6 through 17. Payments are issued monthly.
- Working income tax benefit (WITB) – Working individuals and families with low income may be able to claim this refundable tax credit. The WITB includes a supplement for individuals who are eligible for the disability tax credit. Eligible individuals and families may be able to apply for the 2016 advance payments.
- MyCRA mobile app – Get your tax information on-the-go! Use this mobile application to securely access some of your tax and benefit information, anywhere, anytime. Go to www.cra.gc.ca/mobileapps and select “MyCRA”.