Did you know?
You can file your taxes online for free. Many people think that filing online is expensive because it requires using certified tax preparation software. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has a list of CRA-certified commercial tax preparation software packages and web applications to fit all budgets, including options that are free.
- Filing online is easy; all you need is your social insurance number and date of birth.
- Income tax and benefit returns filed online must first be prepared using a CRA-certified tax preparation software or web application. For a list of what’s available, including free options, go to www.netfile.gc.ca/software.
- Before filing online, your information, including your address, must be up-to-date. You can look up or change your information online before filing your return by using My Account at www.cra.gc.ca/myaccount.
Why file online?
- CRA certified software and web applications guide you through the process, do all the calculations for you, and make sure you don’t miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for.
- Filing online helps to ensure there are no interruptions to your Canada child tax benefit and GST/HST credit payments.
- If you file your return online, in most cases you will receive your refund faster. When you file online and sign up for direct deposit, you may receive your refund in as little as eight days! For information on how to request direct deposit, go to www.cra.gc.ca/directdeposit.
- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security Canadian financial institutions use.
- Last year, more than 75% of Canadians filed their return electronically. Join the majority who are already enjoying the benefits of online filing!
For more information about filing online, go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready and let us walk you through it step by step.