The number of registered charities continued to grow in 2012. As of December 31, 2012, there were 86,159 registered charities, up from 85,923 on December 31, 2011.
|Other purposes beneficial to the community||20,096|
For the 2012-2013 fiscal year (April 1 to March 31), the Charities Directorate:
- handled 104,129 telephone enquiries on its toll-free line;
- received 7,791 written service requests from registered charities;
- received 3,863 new applications for charitable registration;
- received 591 applications for re?registration;
- formally denied 283 applications;
- registered 2,072 charities (this includes new registrations and re?registrations);
- completed 799 audits of registered charities, which were chosen using a variety of methods, including random selection, follow-up on possible non-compliance or complaints, and based on a review of annual information returns;
- revoked 713 registered charities because they did not file their annual Form T3010, Registered Charity Information Return within six months after their fiscal year end;
- revoked 58 registered charities for other causes (for example, because they no longer complied with the requirements of the Income Tax Act); and
- revoked the charitable status of 741 organizations at their own request.