Being informed is your best protection against fraud. Always remember to protect your personal information and that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Some things to remember…
- If you’re not sure about the authenticity of a call or letter you got from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), call us right away at 1-800-959-8281.
- No one, including family members and spouses, can have access to your information on CRA records without your written authorization. In addition, the CRA never sells your personal information to third parties.
- The CRA will not request information of any kind from you through email or by texting your cell phone.
- The CRA will not leave a message containing any of your confidential personal or tax information on your voice mail.
- Benefit payments are always issued on specific dates, and the CRA will not send you information about your benefits or payments by email. More details about benefits can be found at www.cra.gc.ca/benefits.
- Sign up for direct deposit and be assured that your payments will reach you no matter what. Get information at www.cra.gc.ca/directdeposit.
- Sign up for our other secure electronic services, where you can access your tax file and much more. Find out what electronic services the CRA offers at www.cra.gc.ca/electronicservices.
- Tax scams have serious legal consequences.
- If you think you’ve been a victim of fraud or any type of tax or benefit scam, call us at 1-800-959-8281, and immediately notify your bank and the local police.