If you own a business, you may have wondered if you should incorporate. Historically the income tax system in Canada has benefited incorporated Canadian small businesses. Although the income and deduction calculations are almost identical to an unincorporated business, the major differences are in the corporate taxation structure and tax planning opportunities. When developing the tax plan for your business, you and your advisor should look for opportunities in the following areas:
- Income splitting with family members;
- Tax deferral to the future;
- Estate planning for you and your family;
- Utilization of the capital gains exemption; and
- Planning your retirement, including disposing of your business.
Since personal and corporate tax as well as family law issues can make this issue complex, please contact our office to discuss your situation.