Voluntary Disclosure Program

If you owe money to any of the tax authorities because you failed to file a return for one or more years, you can make a voluntary disclosure.  You will pay only the tax due plus interest.  No penalties will be assessed.  You have to make a complete disclosure.  The information can be less than or more than a year old.  Plus you must contact the Canada Revenue Agency prior to the start of an investigation or an audit.

Typical voluntary disclosures include; domestic business income never reported, failure to collect or remit GST and/or source deductions, information returns not previously submitted, foreign wages and benefits not reported, and domestic and foreign dividends and interest never reported.

Relief is determined on a case by case basis.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *