Personal Tax Savings Available to Everyone

Public Transit Amount – Line 364
You may be able to claim the public transit amount to help cover the costs of certain public transit passes and electronic payment cards for travel within Canada. Filing by paper? Do not include your receipts and passes, but keep them in case we ask to see them. Filing electronically? Remember to keep all of your documents.

Children’s Fitness Amount – Line 365
You may be able to claim the children’s fitness amount based on eligible fees of up to $500 paid in 2007 for the registration or membership of a child in a prescribed program of physical activity. You should receive, or ask for, a receipt from organizations that provide prescribed programs of physical activity for which you paid to have your child enrolled. It is the organization (not the taxpayer) who will determine the part of the fee that qualifies for the children’s fitness tax credit.

Pension Income Splitting
Eligible individuals may be able to allocate up to half of their pension income that qualifies for the pension income amount to their lower-income spouse or common-law partner.

Basic Personal Amount – Line 300
The basic personal amount increased to $9,600. Individuals with taxable income in 2007 up to this amount will not have to pay federal income tax. Remember to claim the corresponding provincial or territorial non-refundable tax credit to which are entitled, on line 5804 of your provincial or territorial Form 428.

Spouse or Common-Law Partner Amount – Line 303
You may be able to claim spouse or common-law partner amount if, at any time in the year, you supported your spouse or common-law partner and his or her net income for 2007 was less than $9,600.

Amount for an Eligible Dependent- Line 305
You may be able to claim the amount for an eligible dependent if, at any time in the year, you supported an eligible dependent whose net income for 2007 was less than $9,600.

Amount for Children Born in 1990 or later – Line 367
You may be able to claim $2,000 for each of your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s children if they lived with you throughout 2007 and were under the age of 18 at the end of the year. Tip – You may be able to transfer all or part of this amount to your spouse or common law partner or to claim all or part of his or her amount. See line 326 for details.

Textbook Amount – Line 323
Students eligible for the education amount may be able to claim the textbook amount to help cover the costs of textbooks. Tip – Even if you have no tax to pay and you are transferring part of your tuition, education, and textbook amounts, you should file your return and attach a completed Schedule 11 so we can update our records with your unused tuition, education, and textbook amounts available for carry forward to other years.

If you are transferring an amount to another person, do not transfer more than the person can use. That way, you can carry forward as much as possible to use in a future year.

Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB) – Line 453
Individuals and families with low incomes may be able to claim the Working Income Tax Benefit, which includes a supplement for individuals who are entitled to the disability tax credit. To find out if you qualify, see Schedule 6 in the CRA forms book.

Tradesperson’s Tools Deduction
The tradesperson’s tools deduction provides employed tradespersons with a deduction of up to $500 to help cover the cost of new tools bought in the year that are necessary to their trade.

Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB)
The UCCB helps Canadian families with children under the age of 6 years by supporting their child care choices through direct financial support. The UCCB is for children under the age of 6 years and is paid in installments of $100 per month per child. Apply online thru My Account by using the Apply for child benefits service.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *